Windows Media Player Plug-In for Chrome
Windows Media Player is a media library application that allows you to play video and audio. Using this, you can even view images, provided your computer runs Microsoft Windows. The media player can also be used on devices based on Windows Mobile and Pocket PCs. Having the media player on Google Chrome allows you to make the best of the media online. One of the best aspects about having the media player on your browser is that you can enjoy your music right from your browser.
If media player has not been installed on Google Chrome, and you visit a page that links to a Windows media file, the browser will detect that the plug-in is missing. In this situation, you will be prompted to install the media player plug-in. The prompt will typically appear at the top of the page. Remember that you will get this prompt only if the browser allows websites to employ plug-ins. Here are the steps you can follow in this case:
- When you see the prompt, click on it and a window ‘Plug-in Finder Service’ will appear.
- It will search for the plug-in and give you the option of installing it. Click on the button marked ‘Next’.
- A message will appear once the plug-in installation is completed.
- Click ‘Finish’ at the bottom of the window.
In case a page merely links to the media files like an asx or asf file, the browser may not show a prompt for downloading the plug-in. Then, you can install the plug-in by taking these steps:
For a System Operating on Microsoft Windows:
- Copy and paste the link: http://port25.technet.com/pages/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx in your Google Chrome browser.
- Here, you will have to click on the text ‘Download Now’.
- For the download to be successful, you will have to close other browsers.
- The file will automatically download. The browser will show the state of downloading in a bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Once the download is complete, click on the bar where the file name is shown.
- A dialogue box asking you whether you want the file to make changes to the computer, and whether you want to open it will appear. Click ‘Yes’.
- A Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin Setup installation wizard will appear on the screen. Click ‘Next’, and it will take you to the next page.
- Click in the box marked ‘I accept the terms in the License Agreement’, and on the button marked ‘Next’.
- On the next page, click ‘Install’ and the media player plug-in will be installed in the Google Chrome browser on your computer.
For Mac Systems:
- Go to this site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/windows-media-player/wmcomponents.
- You will have to install Flip4Mac. For this, click on the message ‘Free Download’.
- In the download bar, click ‘Save’. This will confirm that you want to download the file.
- Next, mount the file (.dmg) and click on ‘Flip4Mac WMV.mpkg’.
- The screen will guide you through the complete installation process.
- Close and start Google Chrome.
- Go to the plug-ins page through about:plugins.
It will feature a list of plug-ins, of which Flip4Mac will be one. Click on the button marked ‘enable’ below it to complete the installation.