Shockwave Plugin for Chrome
The Shockwave plugin allows users to view web content that is interactive in nature on their web browser. This includes games, entertainment, product demos and other multi-media content. As a powerful plug-in for multimedia, Shockwave’s popularity has not abated over time. Authored in Adobe Director, Shockwave offers high extendibility and superior interaction. It is estimated that Shockwave is installed on more than 30% of all web browsers, though Flash takes the cake, being more popular than Shockwave.
How to Install Shockwave for Chrome
Check if this plug-in is not installed by default first. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Google Chrome
- 2. Type “about:plugins” in the address bar. You will be directed to a page that lists all the plug-ins on your system. Check if ‘Shockwave for Director’ is part of this list. If it is, then this plug-in is present by default, and you will not be required to install it (if it is disabled, enable it).
If the plug-in is not installed, then follow the given instructions:
- Visit http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/
- This Adobe webpage will have an ‘Agree and install now’ icon. Click on this icon.
- You will get a message asking you to ‘Save’ or ‘Discard’ the file. Click on ‘Save’.
- Wait for the file to download, this will take under a minute.
- Go back to the “about:plugins” page. Here, you will find a new entry “Adobe Shockwave for Director” Netscape plug-in. Shockwave will now work on your system.
What if Shockwave is not working?
If this plug-in is not working on your system, then you may have to run it in compatibility mode. This will take you less than a minute; follow the steps listed below for running this program in compatibility mode.
- Right Click on the ‘Google Chrome’ icon and choose ‘Properties’.
- Choose the ‘Compatibility’ tab. You will find “Run this program in compatibility mode for”. Tick this option and select the suitable option from the drop-down menu.
- Click ‘Ok’.
How to download Shockwave plugin for Mac OS
- Visit http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/. This Adobe webpage will have an ‘Agree and install now’ icon. Click on this icon.
- The program will download to your system in a few minutes. If this does not work choose ‘click here to download’ and click on it.
- Once the plug-in has downloaded, a ‘Shockwave_Installer_Slim’ icon and a ‘Shockwave_Uninstaller’ icon will appear. Double click on ‘Shockwave_Installer_Slim’.
- You will see a dialog box on screen, telling you that the package has a program that assesses whether the software installation is possible. There will be options ‘Cancel’ and ‘Continue’; click on ‘Continue’ and proceed.
- The Shockwave installer would now have opened; click on ‘Continue’.
- You will now see an Adobe software license agreement on screen; click on ‘Continue’.
- Another message asking you to ‘Agree’ or ‘Disagree’ to the license agreement will appear. Click on ‘Agree’.
- You can now start installing the software by clicking on the ‘Install’ button.
- 10. For authentication, you will need to type your Mac’s username and password.
- 11. Close any web browsers that are open, and click on ‘Ok’.
Shockwave will now take about a minute to install and a successful installation message will appear on screen.